What you need:
For the dusting sugar:
- 3 tbsps CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- 3 tsps cornflour
For the marshmallows:
- 180ml passionfruit juice with the seeds strained out (about 20 passionfruits)
- 5 tsps powdered gelatin
- 2 1/3 cups CSR Caster Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg whites
What to do:
- Lightly grease and line with baking paper a 28cm x 18cm rectangular pan.
- Mix together icing sugar and cornflour to make dusting sugar. Use a small amount to dust over rectangular pan.
- Mix together passionfruit juice and gelatine in a bowl and set aside.
- Put caster sugar and water in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Turn up the heat to medium and cook for another 5–10 mins or until syrup thickens.
- Drop a tiny amount of syrup into a saucer of water. If it goes hard right away , it’s ready.
- Remove from heat, add passionfruit mixture and stir to dissolve gelatine.
- Use an electric mixer to beat together egg whites and a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add hot passionfruit mixture, beating continuously on a medium speed. Mixture will double in size.
- Pour into prepared pan and stand at room temperature for 4 hrs or until firm.
- Get your mum or dad to help you use a sharp knife to cut the marshmallow into cubes.
- Roll them in icing sugar and serve!
Thinking Pink? For raspberry marshmallows, swap the passionfruit juice for a 300g packet of defrosted, strained frozen raspberries.
Tip: Your marshmallows can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
* Recipe courtesy of CSR Bake A Difference