What you need:
- 2 x 2m bags Simulated leather thonging – brown
- Perle thread no 5
- Emu feathers – turquoise
- Polka dot feathers – natural
- 10mm round wooden beads – assorted
- 12mm round wooden beads – assorted
- Turquoise bead for the centre
- 150mm metal ring
- Craft glue
What to do:
- Glue a small section of leather to the top of the ring leaving a 20cm tail at the start. Hold leather in place and wrap firmly around the ring. Continue wrapping back to the start keeping the leather taut as you work. Tie off with the tail at the top.
- Tie the perle thread in a tight knot around the top of the ring and cut off excess at the end but not too close to the knot.
- Pull the thread to the right and loop it over the ring (approx 8cm around) then bring the end through the opening just made between the thread and the ring and pull taut. Repeat this 4 more times. The last one will be to the left of the top.
- Pull the thread to the right and loop it over the centre of the first thread, pass the end through the opening just made between the thread and the first thread and pull taut. Repeat 4 more times to complete the round.
- Keeping the thread taut, continue working around the ring in this manner until you have the desired size opening left in the centre.
- To finish off, tie the cord in a tight knot on the last loop made. Thread on the turquoise bead and tie off in a secure knot. Trim off excess thread.
- Cut 3 x 40cm lengths of leather and attach one to the bottom and one to each side by folding each length into a loop, pass the loop around the edge of
the ring, open the loop and pull the ends through tightly.
- Randomly thread beads onto ends of leather and knot to secure. Group feathers together, apply a small amount of glue to the ends and push up into the beads. Glue a feather into the turquoise bead in the centre of the web.
- Hang above your bed to catch your dreams!
All materials are available from Spotlight. We’re celebrating Spotlight’s National Craft Month, head into your local store for more great DYI projects ideas and visit spotlight.com.au/spotlight-national-craft-month/ for more information.